For the first time, Hi-Rez is celebrating SMITE’s birthday with three patches worth of celebration. The party began in patch 5.4: SMITE Birthday, and now we’ve gotten a chance to see what’s new in the 5.5: Time to Party patch notes. Patch 5.5 will launch for PC on Tuesday, March 27 and console the week after.
Time to Party Bundle
The Time to Party Bundle is the second of the SMITE birthday bundles to hit the store. In case you missed it, buying all three awards the limited Jackal Tech Anubis skin. Like the Happy Birthday Bunde, Time to Party will be 675 gems, or 25% off, during the 5.5 patch before going up to its regular price of 900. This also means that if you want to buy the SMITE Birthday bundle at the discount price, you need to make your purchase before the 5.5 patch goes live. If you need more information about the birthday event, we have a detailed article about it here.
Time to Party includes the exclusive Elegant Nemesis, Itty Bitty ChiBee skins and SMITE Birthday Present currency to unlock an Odyssey chest. It should also include a few other cosmetics, but Hi-Rez doesn’t say in the patch notes which ones. Presumably, the cosmetics will be something out of this list of accessories — almost assuredly the Birthday Cake Pedestal, but we’re not sure what the second item will be — to be added with patch 5.5:
- Mech Level Tech (Level up FX)
- Birthday Cake (Pedestal)
- Poopie (Jump Stamp)
- Baby Drone (Ward Skin)
Other skins to be added include:
- Sky Tech Zeus (exclusive)
- Dark Matter Khepri (exclusive)
- Orbital Scout Artemis (exclusive)
- Achilles Mastery Skins
Ah Muzen Cab and Nemesis will also have their updated mastery skins. Hi-Rez’s policy is to update mastery skins at the same time as gods get new skins for them, which is why it’s no coincidence AMC and Nem both received exclusive skins this patch.
Project Olympus updates
Project Olympus was an initiative started by Hi-Rez in Season 4. The project promised a slew of quality of life improvements to SMITE. We’ve already seen much of Project Olympus come to fruition, such as randomized player loadouts, in-game voice chat (for PC; this already existed on Xbox One and PS4), console improvements, a ranked overhaul and more. But Hi-Rez isn’t done yet, and SMITE patch 5.5 is one of the biggest Project Olympus updates yet.
Hi-Rez will attempt to improve matchmaking, which has always been one of SMITE players’ biggest complaints. This isn’t the first time Hi-Rez has said they’ve worked on improvements, but players have yet to see anything noticeable. Testing to create a better matchmaking experience will begin in patch 5.5. More details can be seen here.
According to Hi-Rez, “Custom and Auto-Buy builds will now sell starters and buy a finished build once all other items have been built. The only exception for this is Arena builds.”
Console VGS Fixes
This one is a correction of issues that occurred when SMITE console got full VGS call-outs in patch 5.3. Previously, some VGS were not using the correct command when inputted. This will be fixed in patch 5.5.
New Player Experience
New player experience is something criticized in every MOBA and is something Hi-Rez has tried to improve recently. You may remember when game mode level requirements were changed at the tail end of Season 4 to better accommodate new players. Now, Hi-Rez has announced a complete overhaul of the leveling rewards system and also reduced the XP required to reach level 30 (the level required to play ranked) by 25%. Levels between 31-50 now take more experience to reach (a reassigning of the XP from levels 1-30), and anything beyond that is unaffected.
At the time the patch notes were released, Hi-Rez said the rewards would not be retroactive for current players (RIP — I’m at level 141), but players on the SMITE PTS said they have received them retroactively.
- Level 1 – Favor x3500
- Level 2 – Favor x2500
- Level 4 – Gems x100
- Level 5 – Favor x1000
- Level 6 – Free God | Pick from 3
- Level 7 – Free Voice Pack coupon
- Level 8 – 3 Day Booster
- Level 9 – Free Chest Roll coupon
- Level 10 – Free God | Pick from 3
- Level 11 – Fantasy Points x250
- Level 12 – 50% off any Skin Coupon
- Level 13 – Favor x2500
- Level 14 – Enigma Chest
- Level 15 – Gems x200
- Level 16 – SMITE Night Global Emote
- Level 17 – 50% off any Skin Coupon
- Level 18 – 3 Day Booster
- Level 19 – Cutesy Avatar Chest
- Level 20 – Lady of the Lore Announcer Pack
- Level 21 – Fantasy Points x250
- Level 22 – Scarab Jump Stamp
- Level 23 – 15 Day Booster
- Level 24 – Fantasy Points x500
- Level 26 – Roman Recall FX
- Level 27 – Enigma Chest
- Level 28 – Japanese Loading Frame
- Level 29 – Enigma Chest
- Level 30 – Free purchasable Skin coupon
The tutorial quests and rewards have also been overhauled:
- Training Quest 1 | 500 Favor
- Training Quest 2 | 500 Favor
- Training Quest 3 | 500 Favor
- Training Quest 4 | 500 Favor + Neith Recolor
- Play Co-op vs AI | 500 Favor + Ra Recolor
- Master a God | Lightning Bolt Ward Skin
- Refer-a-friend | 500 Favor
- Play with a friend | 1000 Favor
- Complete A Match | 100 Gems
Incorrect Scoreboard Issue
We have implemented a fix for the Scoreboard issue where it would display incorrect teammates and connection status. Due to the difficulty of reproducing this bug internally, we cannot fully confirm this has been resolved in all cases. If you experience this issue when 5.5 goes live, please send in a bug report.
Console Bug Fixes
There are a few bug fixes directed specifically at console:
- Fixed an issue where spamming the accept match button could cause Gods to not appear in lobby.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to look at boosters in the Profile menu could result in you being unable to re-select account boosters.
- Fixed an issue where avatars were not being displayed on the friends list.
Bug fixes for all
And more for all platforms:
- Fixed a large list of text issues. We will continue to tackle this list in future patches.
- Fixed an issue where owned Gods would appear as “Rotation”.
- Fixed an issue where certain objectives would not have their Health Bars appear.
- Fixed an issue where hovering over items in the Lowest Tier view could result in duplicates of full items appearing.
- Fixed an issue where Gods that flew over towers were getting shot by the tower. They should no longer get shot by the tower.
Chest addition transparency
Hi-Rez has started to better communicate which skins are added to chests and when. In patch 5.5, the Awesome Chest is getting the following:
- Kunoichi Serqet
- Druidstone Geb
- Oni Musha Hachiman
- Snow Day Scylla
- Ice Mage Agni
- Defiant Bellona
- Badlands Vulcan
- Order and Chaos Hel
- Abyssal Knight Ares
- Arctic Seer Artio
- Krampus Cernunnos
- Crystal Gaze Medusa
- Fallen Angel Nike
- Tremor Tech Cabrakan
- Rocket Punch Mercury
The Godlike chest will be updated with these skins:
- Digi-MIR 9000 Ymir
- Scarlet Coven Isis
- Wyrm Slayer Ullr
And the rotation on the Fantasy Points Store will change:
- Primal Huntress Artemis
- King of the Deep Poseidon
- Jandroid Janus
After a lot of non-gameplay changes, we finally come to balance. In addition to item and god changes, Hi-Rez has altered the Fire Giant to make it easier to push phoenixes. Season 5 has been something of a sieging nightmare where even teams with huge advantages struggle to push.
- Fire Giant
- FG Buff
- Increased bonus damage to structures from 20% to 25%
- FG Buff
- Enhanced FG
- Enhanced FG Buff
- Increased bonus damage to structures from 20% to 30%
- Enhanced FG Buff
There has also been an adjustment to make it not as easy to dive players on towers early in the game:
- Conquest Towers
- Tier 1 Tower
- Increased Base Power from 200 to 215.
- Tier 1 Tower
Item balance changes
Malice Passive Change
Malice has a new passive. The old passive was: “Every Critical Strike against an enemy God gives one stack. At 3 stacks, your next ability that damages an enemy God will consume the stacks and deal bonus damage over time to the first God hit for 120% of your physical power.”
- NEW PASSIVE – On a successful Critical Strike, your abilities deal 35% more damage for the next 3 seconds.
Midgardian Mail Passive Change (Buff)
The RNG has been removed from Midgardian Mail, and the slow is now guaranteed (albeit the percentage is lower, however the slow can stack). Formerly, Midgardian’s passive was: “When hit by a Basic Attack, there is a 30% chance to slow your enemy’s Movement Speed and Attack Speeds by 30% for 2 seconds.”
- NEW PASSIVE – When hit by a Basic Attack, that enemy has their Movement Speed and Attack Speed reduced by 15% for 2 seconds. This effect can stack up to 2 times and can stack with other item slow effects.
- Increased Health from 100 to 200
Crusher Visual Effect
- Added a visual FX to the damage from Crusher.
- Increased Physical Power gained per passive stack from 7 to 10
Silverbranch Bow Passive Change
Silverbranch Bow’s old passive was: “Every successful Basic Attack increases your Attack Speed by 5% and reduces your enemies Attack Speed by 5% for 3s. (Max 3 Stacks).”
- NEW PASSIVE – Every successful Basic Attack increases your Attack Speed by 5%. Stacks last for 3s and stack up to 6 times.
- Increase Attack Speed from 20% to 25%.
Spiked Gauntlet (builds into Devourer’s and Bloodforge) Buff
- Increased Physical Power from 0 to 5.
8-Pointed Shuriken (builds into Wind Demon and Poisoned Star) Buff
- Decreased Cost from 1700 to 1500.
- (Adjusted Poisoned Star and Wind Demon upgrade cost to keep the items at the same total cost.)
God balance changes
- Undying Love can now be cast even if Aphrodite is currently in the air from a knockup ability.
- Adjusted the targeter to better reflect the area of damage for this ability.
- Increased persist time of damaging area from .6s to .7s
- This fixes the “dead zone” where Chang’e could miss the ability while standing still. Now goes the full 360 degrees.
- Sobek no longer goes untargetable while plucking an enemy. He instead gains player passthrough, which will allow him to be hit by enemies while he is getting ready to throw someone.
Ao Kuang Nerf
Dragon Call (Ranged Dragon Throw)
- Decreased Magical Power Scaling from 90% to 78% (from 15% to 13% per dragon)
Da Ji Nerf
- Decreased Physical Power Scaling from 20% to 14% (10% to 7% per tick)
- Decreased Physical Power scaling on Burst Damage from 45% to 35%
Cu Chulainn Nerf
- When transformed, Cu Chulainn will no longer gain access to abilities he has not put a single point in (except for his 2).
- Increased Cooldown from 16s to 18s
- Movement Speed increased from 355 to 360
- Reduced Cooldown from 18s to 16s
Circle of Protection
- Increased Max Charge Dmg/Heal Scaling from 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 to 2.5/2.75/3/3.25/3.5
- Increase damage reduction from 15% 15/15/17.5/17.5/20
Sun Wukong Buff
- Increase base damage from 80/120/160/200/240 to 90/130/170/210/250
- Decreased mana cost from 50/60/70/80/90 to 50/55/60/65/70
- Increased Base damage from 80/120/160/200/240 to 90/130/170/210/250
- Increased amount of damage that Inferno Cannon deals to marked targets from 10% to 15%
- Increased Magical Power Scaling from 35% to 40%
Erlang Shen Buff
- Increased progression scaling to match swing time
- From 0.65/0.65/0.65/1/.8x to .75/0.75/0.75/1.1/.9x
- Increased cooldown reduction per Basic Attack from 0.75s to 1s