It’s a SMITE tradition: the yearly Odyssey event. We know 2019’s Odyssey will culminate in the release of the community-voted tier 5 Ares skin. The event also celebrates one of SMITE’s most anticipated god releases yet: Hera. Put it all together, and this year’s event is called Hera’s Odyssey, which was introduced in the SMITE 5.17 patch notes.
Aside from the introduction of The Odyssey, the patch is light on content, though there is a new item, an item rework and some other changes to look forward to.
Though the event and patch title bear her name, Hera won’t be launching in SMITE 5.17. There are several Hera-themed items, however, as part of the initial items in The Odyssey. The Odyssey spans five patches and operates similarly to years past:
- Players earn Odyssey levels by completing quests and buying Odyssey items. Maximum Odyssey level is 30.
- Collection rewards are given every three levels.
- Five quests will be released per Odyssey update (for a total of 25 quests). Completing five quests gives enough points to level up one time.
- The final reward, earned at maximum Odyssey level, is the limited tier 5 God Slayer Ares skin.
- With patch 5.17, three directly purchasable Odyssey skins (Cyber Scythe Thanatos, Cosmic Power Anubis and Pixel Chaos Discordia) will be released with two collection bonuses (Cutesy Hera Avatar and Hera’s Odyssey Loading Skin).
- Cyber Scythe Thanatos (exclusive, Odyssey)
- Cosmic Power Anubis (exclusive, Odyssey)
- Pixel Chaos Discordia (exclusive, Odyssey)
General Nosseris Kumbhakarna (exclusive)
Project Olympus updates
A while ago, Hi-Rez Studios announced Project Olympus, a plan that would bring quality-of-life improvements to SMITE. There are a few additions from the program in patch 5.17, the most notable being that god stats can now be shown regardless of whether or not a player owns a mastery skin.
- On Consoles, B or Circle buttons will now exit menus, as long as those buttons have no other function on those menus
- All platforms now have video links to preview any gods abilities
- All chests will now list all of their contents
- Added a controller sensitivity option for PC
- The rules for how God stats are shown on Loading Frames have been updated
- God Stats no longer require you to have purchased a Mastery Skin to display on your loading frame, they will show up based on your Hide God Stats option in your Profile loadout.
- New players will have their Hide God Stats option defaulted to hidden.
- Mastery Level (I,II,X,etc.) will always display on your loading frame
Chest additions / Fantasy Points Store
- Geek Beak Thoth
- Pup Patrol Cerberus
- Madame Blade Serqet
- Beach Babe Aphrodite
- Monster Trainer Erlang Shen
Fantasy Points Store
- Cangaceiro Vamana
- Life’s a Beach Geb
- Hellrider Chiron
- Fixed an issue where a few items did not have the correct “PASSIVE” text
- Fixed Polynesian pedestal’s missing textures
- Fixed an issue where you could be Knocked Up out of the Assault map
- Players can no longer spam another player with custom match invites, they are now limited to 2 invites per 30s
- Fixed a series of issues where certain animations could crash spectator
- Spectators will now go to the End of Match Lobby properly even if the game ends early in surrender
- Fixed an issue where spectator camera would have issues if the lobby was not full
- Fixed an issue where the mini map editor could become stuck in a certain position
- Fixed an issue where players could not create or join parties after leaving the game idle for a long period of time
Oni Hunter’s Garb
- This Item no longer counts as an Aura item
- Minions from his ultimate will no longer remove backdoor protections
- Fixed an issue where her first ability was healing for 100% instead of 33%
There are only a few item and god changes, but there are new and reworked items. Players will be excited to see Golden Bow, an item that was removed because of its strength on Hunters at the time, return in the form of Golden Blade. Golden Blade is only purchasable on Assassins and Warriors, which should help it avoid the pitfalls of the original item.
Golden Blade (New Item)
- Only available to the Assassin & Warrior Classes
- Upgrades from Thousand Fold Blade
- +30 Physical Power
- +15% Attack Speed
- +10% Movement Speed
- PASSIVE – All Basic Attacks will also hit enemies within a 15 unit radius of the target for 50% of the damage to Gods, 75% damage to Minions and Jungle Camps.
- This item has been Re-designed and Icon has Changed
- Moved to Hydras Tree
- Can now be bought by all 3 Physical Power Classes.
- Upgrades from Charged Morningstar
- 2300g (1100g upgrade from T2)
- +30 Physical Power
- +10 Physical Penetration
- + 200 Mana
- + 7 MP5
- PASSIVE – every successful basic attack gives you 1 stack. At 5 stacks, your next ability deals bonus damage equal to 80% of your physical power to the first enemy god hit and restores 10% of your max mana.
Ethereal Staff Buff
- Cost reduced from 2700 to 2600
- Increased Health % Stolen on passive ability from 4% to 5%
- Now properly benefits from Lifesteal at 33%.
- Increased cooldown from 15/14/13/12/11s to 14s at all ranks
- Decreased Cooldown from 18s to 18/17/16/15/14s
- Increased Base Damage per tick of Bramble area from 4/8/12/16/20 to 6/10/14/18/22
- Increased Base Damage from 70/120/170/220/270 to 80/135/190/245/300
- Decreased Magical Power Scaling from 50% to 40%
Through The Cosmos
- Cooldown increased from 90s to 110/105/100/95/90s
PTS and release date
The 5.17 public test server is live for the weekend now. Patch 5.17 is expected to officially release the week of September 17.Follow @SMITEScrub